Today I was going to bake and share a recipe that I have been working on for a while for raspberry chocolate chip cookies. I was pretty excited to share this recipe because I’ve been working on getting it right for a few weeks and I think I finally got it. But … alas, no cookies this weekend. When I opened the freezer to get out the frozen raspberries, they were gone! My daughter has a thing for frozen raspberries and if I don’t hide them well enough, they disappear. A trait she inherited from my father, I think. I even went out to the store to get more berries, but there were none in stock. I guess the universe doesn’t want me to share this recipe yet, lol.
Since it was a bit later in the day I decided to go for a simple no-bake recipe that my mom shared with me recently for peanut butter squares. This recipe is so simple and comes together in under 5 minutes! Think of Rice Krispie squares but with chocolate and peanut butter. These squares don’t involve any baking so they are perfect for either a last minute dessert, for making on a hot day, or for baking with kids. They are also vegan, so a great treat for anyone who doesn’t eat animal products.
The original recipe is for mainly a peanut butter square with the optional addition of chocolate chips, but I decided I wanted to melt the chocolate to have it throughout the squares along with the peanut butter. I also had some toffee chips on hand so at the last second I decided to add those in as well.
These were so easy to make and delicious! I will definitely make them again,
[recipe title=”No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares” servings=”9-18 square depending on size” cooktime=”5 minutes” difficulty=”easy” description=”These no-bake squares are a classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter. They come together in minutes and are perfect for baking with kids or for a hot summer’s day.”]
– 2 cups corn flake cereal
– 1 cup crisped rice cereal
– 1/2 cup corn syrup
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1 cup chocolate chips
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1 cup peanut butter
– pinch of salt
– optional: 1/4 cup toffee chips
1. In a medium bowl, lightly crush corn flake cereal with hands. Stir in crisped rice cereal and set aside.
2. Add corn syrup, brown sugar, chocolate chips and vanilla to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until melted and combine, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add peanut butter and salt and stir to combine.
4. Stir in cereal and toffee chips, if using, to combine.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased 8 x 8 inch baking pan and smooth top.
6. Chill in the fridge until set, about 30 minutes to 1 hour, then cut into squares.