I’ve decided to start adding some recipes that would go with some of the breads that I have posted to give you more dinner ideas. Yesterday was another hot day here so I decided to do a grilled dinner. These chicken skewers were so juicy and tender that I just had to share the recipe!
The original recipe from Fine Cooking, called for putting both chicken and vegetables on skewers. I find I like to cook the vegetables separately because they cook faster than the chicken and can often end up burnt. I decided instead to just put the chicken on the skewers and to marinate and grill the vegetables separately. The chicken is marinated in a combination of yogurt, tahini and lemon juice with some chopped mint and spices. Half of the marinade is put on the chicken and half is reserved for a dipping sauce. For the vegetables, I marinated them in a basic vinaigrette of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard with some added soy sauce, which goes well with the grill. I also served my Middle Eastern Style Flatbread on the side (note: I’ve updated the toppings from my original posting of the flatbread recipe).
The dinner overall took very little work. The bread is put together in the food processor and doesn’t require any real kneading. The chicken and vegetables are just thrown in a marinade until ready to use. The total cook time was 15 minutes for the chicken and 10 minutes for the vegetables. The chicken was so delicious! The marinade is very lightly seasoned with cumin, paprika, oregano and mint, giving it a slightly middle-eastern flavour, without being overpowering. I also served extra chopped mint and a sliced hot pepper from our garden on the side. The combination of vegetables you grill is up to you. I just threw in what I had: red onion, red pepper, sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes and zucchini. Mushrooms would also be a nice addition. I used 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast and made 7 skewers which gave us enough for dinner and some leftovers for lunch today.
We recently got some reusable non-stick grilling sheets for the BBQ and we really like them. They work well for items that you are worried about sticking to or falling through the grill grates (like chicken skewers and grilled vegetables!) and still give grill marks! They are also really easy to clean afterward and roll up so they don’t take up much storage space. I highly recommend these! I am now an Amazon associate so if you buy them through the link above I get 10% back at no extra cost to you.
[recipe title=”Yogurt and Tahini Marinated Chicken Skewers and Grilled Vegetables” servings=”4-6″ cooktime=”25-30 minutes” difficulty=”easy” description=”These chicken skewers are tender and juicy and are perfectly complimented by a side of grilled vegetables.”]
For the Chicken
– 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 3 tbs (45 ml) olive oil
– 1 1/2 cups (370 ml) plain yoghurt
– 3 tbs (45 ml) lemon juice
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) red pepper flakes
– 1/4 tsp (1 g) salt
– 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) freshly cracked black pepper
– 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
– 1/2 (2.5 ml) tsp dried oregano
– 1/2 (2.5 ml)tsp paprika
– 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint
– 7-8 wooden skewers
For the Vegetables
– 6 cups mixed vegetables of your choice cut into large pieces (red onion, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, sugar snap peas all work well)
– 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
– 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
– 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
– 1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) Dijon mustard
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– fresh cracked black pepper to taste
For the Chicken
1. In a medium bowl add the olive oil, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, paprika and mint. Stir together until thoroughly combined.
2. Put the chicken in a bowl or dish with a cover, then add half of the marinade. Reserve the other half in the refrigerator. Cover chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes to before assembling to prevent burning.
4. 30 minutes before cooking, remove chicken from refrigerator and thread onto prepared skewers. Let stand at room temperature.
5. Preheat grill to medium-high for 15 minutes to get completely warm. Grill chicken for 15-20 minutes, turning frequently, until cooked. Move to a plate and cover with aluminum foil while you cook the vegetables.
– Serve with reserved marinade on the side for dipping and extra chopped mint for garnish.
For the Vegetables
1. Place vegetables in a large bowl.
2. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, mustard, garlic and pepper.
3. Pour marinade over vegetables and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Grill on medium high for 10-15 minutes until tender-crisp.
5. Remove to a serving bowl.