After baking my Valentine’s Mirror Glaze Cake I had some leftover sweetened condensed milk, so I decided to make some dulce de leche with it. If you’ve never had dulce de leche before, it’s quite similar to caramel, but it has more of a tangy flavour and a really smooth, creamy texture. It’s delicious! It’s also really easy to make!
I was just going to make some and put it in the freezer to use for topping ice cream, but then I had the inspiration to try using it in my brownie recipe. Since I like salted caramel, I thought a sprinkle of sea salt over the top of the brownie batter before baking would work well. I didn’t regret this decision to try this recipe out. The brownies were outstanding! Best of all, they are so easy to make. I can whip up these brownies in less time than it takes to preheat my oven.
My only regret is that I didn’t hide a couple. I ended up making two batches this week and only got to eat a couple of the brownies. My family loved them so much that they disappeared quickly! Below is a YouTube video showing how to make them as well as the recipe for the brownies and the recipe for Dulce de Leche.
- Preheat oven to 350 F/180C
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan
- In a medium bowl, whisk together, butter, oil, sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and smooth the top. Add spoonfuls of dulce de leche and spread slightly with a knife if you wish. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Homemade Dulce de Leche is unbelievably easy to make! All you need is some sweetened condensed milk, an oven, and a blender. Follow these simple steps and you can have creamy homemade Dulce de Leche anytime!
- Preheat oven to 400F/205 C
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into an oven-safe dish and cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Place the dish in a high sided baking pan. Pour hot water in the baking pan to the level of the condensed milk in the dish.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until caramel coloured.
- You will notice when you stir the dulce de leche that it looks curdled, and resembles chunky peanut butter. This is resolved easily by blending with an immersion blender or by letting it cool and blending it in a traditional blender. Once the dulce de leche is smooth, it's ready to serve!