Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 1 Hr Cook Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 20 Mins
These rich and flaky blueberry scones are a perfect way to make breakfast special. You can prepare them the night before and bake in the morning.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Grate butter using the large holes of a box grater and place back in the freezer until needed.
- Whisk milk and yogurt together in a small bowl or measuring cup and place in the fridge until needed.
- Whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
- Add frozen butter and toss with fork or fingers until butter is thoroughly coated.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture and fold with rubber spatula until just combined.
- Dust surface of dough with flour and with floured hands, knead dough 6-8 times until it just holds together in a ragged ball, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Roll dough into an approximate 12-inch/30 cm square.
- Fold into thirds like a business letter, using a bench scraper to help.
- Lift short ends of dough and fold into thirds to form an approximate 4-inch square.
- Transfer dough to a plate that has been lightly dusted with flour and chill in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to floured counter and roll into an approximate 12-inch square once more.
- Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top of the dough, then press down into the dough.
- Roll the dough into a cylinder, using a bench scraper to help. Form into a tight log.
- Put dough seam side down and press into a 12×4 inch rectangle.
- Using a sharp, floured knife, cut rectangle into 4 equal pieces. Then cut each piece diagonally to form 2 triangles.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Let rest in fridge while you preheat the oven or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425F/218C
- Before baking, brush scones with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbs sugar.
- Bake until tops are golden brown and internal temperature is 210F/98C, about 18-25 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.