These moist and tender banana muffins are made with browned butter to give them extra depth of flavor. The small amount of cinnamon and nutmeg supports the banana and brown butter flavor without overpowering them. The flavor is out of this world! You can bake this recipe as a 9×5 inch loaf at 350F/180C for 50-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F/205 C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until the solids brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, lemon juice, sugar, egg, sour cream, vanilla and browned butter.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir pecans or chocolate chips into the flour mixture, if using.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the cups of the greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are well risen and golden. Let cool at least 5 minutes in the pan before removing the muffins.