Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 20 Mins Cook Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
Easy Flour Tortillas
Have delicious tender flour tortillas on the table in one hour from start to finish!
- In food processor, pulse flour, shortening and salt until shortening is incorporated.
- With food processor running, gradually pour in water and mix until dough starts to form a ball.
- Knead dough for 4-6 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. It should feel like playdough.
- Cover dough and let rest for at lest 20 minutes. This will make it easier to roll out
- Divide dough into 8 portions.
- Pre-shape dough into a disk shape with hands, then on a floured counter, roll out into a 6-8 inch round. Keep remaining dough covered to keep from drying out.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until smoking. Then wipe the oil out with a paper towel.
- Add one tortilla and cook until you start to see bubbles forming on top, about 1 minute.
- Flip and cook until brown spots begin to form on 2nd side, about 1 minute.
- Keep tortillas warm by placing the covered, in the oven on low heat while you cook remaining tortillas.