Yields: 8 Servings Difficulty: Medium Cook Time: 20 Mins
Lemon Meringue Frosting
This whipped lemony meringue frosting is a great topper for cakes or cupcakes.
- Combine egg white, sugar, lemon juice and corn syrup in a metal bowl over barely simmering water.
- Cook, whisking constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture registers 160 F, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whip on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium high and whip until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add lemon zest during last minute of whipping.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place cooled cake on a baking sheet and spread over the top of the cooled cake, swirling decoratively.
- Wearing oven mitts, hold iced cake under the broiler to brown the top, turning frequently for even browning, until icing top is an even golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to burn!