Making a mirror glaze can seem intimidating but if you follow the temperature guidelines, it’s actually quite easy! The cake should be frozen solid before you glaze it and the glaze temperature should be 32-35 C (90-95 F) when you pour it. This recipe was originally posted on southern fatty.com
For Step 1
- For Step 2
- To Finish
- In a small bowl, mix together gelatin and 80 g water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup and 100 g water to a simmer. Stir frequently until sugar is dissolved.
- Add bloomed gelatine and sweetened condensed milk.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl and pour condensed milk mixture over top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Blend mixture with a whisk or immersion blender.
- Strain the mixture into the desired number of bowls to add food colouring (one bowl per colour.) Add food colouring and mix to achieve desired colours.
- Pour the colours back into one pouring container and let cool to 32-35 C (90-95 F). Give a gentle stir to mix the colours slightly.
- Place your frozen cake on top of a overturned bowl or baking pan that is smaller than the cake, set in a rimmed baking sheet to catch the glaze that drips off. Pour glaze over top of cake starting from the center and then going over the top in any pattern you would like. Let set for 15-20 minutes.
- Use a knife to cut drips off the bottom of the cake.