Yields: 1 Serving Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 1 Hr 15 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 1 Hr 30 Mins
Rich and Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
These buttermilk biscuits are rich and tender with loads of buttery flakes!
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Place bowl in freezer to chill while you prepare the butter.
- Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the butter into a small bowl. Place in freezer until ready to use.
- Remove flour mixture from freezer. With your fingers, work the lard or shortening into the flour until you have pieces that are no bigger than the size of a pea.
- Gently stir the butter into the flour mixture with a fork then place in the freezer again for 10 minutes.
- Spray the counter with vegetable oil spray and then lightly coat with flour. This will help to keep your dough from sticking when you roll it out.
- After flour mixture has chilled, pour 1 cup + 2 Tbsp of buttermilk over the mixture and stir with a fork to form a ball with no dry bits of flour, adding more milk as needed. Save any leftover milk to brush over the tops of your biscuits before baking.
- Transfer dough mixture to the floured counter and bring together with hands to form a cohesive ball.
- Roll to a roughly 12×9 inch (30x23cm) rectangle. Then fold into thirds like a business letter, then again in half to form a square. A bench scraper is useful for this.
- Repeat the previous rolling and folding one more time.
- Roll the dough one final time to about 1/2 and inch (1.5cm) thick.
- Using a 3.5 inch (9cm) cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can. Press the remaining dough into biscuit shapes as needed (I ended up with 3 hand formed ones today). They won’t be as pretty when they are cooked, but will still be very flaky.
- Place the rounds onto a baking sheet and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes while you preheat your oven.
- Preheat the oven to 450F/230C.
- When the oven is preheated, place your cast iron pan in the oven and heat until hot (5-10 minutes).
- Place the biscuits on the pan with sides touching each other and brush the tops with buttermilk or melted butter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown on the top.
- Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to either eat or cool completely on a rack.
- LEFTOVER BISCUITS KEEP NICELY IN THE FREEZER!